Thursday, November 18, 2010

Thanksgiving...a bit early...

Thoughts of thanksgiving have always included turkey and all the trimmings, family, and chilly weather.  Oh and Black Friday shopping!  Well.....here in New Zealand, things are a bit different.  We decided to have our Thanksgiving a week early.  We wanted to invite some Kiwi friends so this week worked well for us all.  And we are invited to a Thanksgiving dinner (by Americans) next week...mmm...Thanksgiving twice!  Turkey here is very expensive...ok, so its just outrageous.  A 15lb one costs $80, so we roasted up a couple of chickens instead and they were very yummy.  We had all the trimmings too....home made stuffing (my mother-in-law's recipe), candied kumira (think yams), mashed potatoes, green beans, and gravy.  And the finishing master piece???  My mom's recipe for pumpkin pie.  I made the crust from scratch along with the filling, including roasting my own pumpkin.  No canned pumpkin here!  I was SO proud of it!  I'm pretty sure my mom would be too.  Pumpkin is eaten here savory and not sweet so it was even more special when our Kiwi friends liked it.  Yum!!  I have to say I think it was a pretty successful Thanksgiving.  And for that I am thankful!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me some commenting love. I read each and every comment made. :)